20130513

A Sunday Flower Parade, May 12, 2013


I think that header should probably read MY Sunday flower parade.  Sunday, of course, was Mother's Day.  Yesterday I picked the white roses and a bleeding heart stalk (picture below) in my front yard, and tho't it made a pretty bouquet for the day.  I cut a few for my friend, Fran, across the street, too.  The roses are very fragrant.  All the low leaves on the bush are gone - gee, three guesses who ate them .  The flowers are up too high (it's a tree rose) for sweet little deer lips, which I'm sure is the only reason I get to pick and enjoy them!  When these are ready for the compost pile, I'll cut more.


Our town offered many options for brunches and dinners this day, but we signed up at the Nevada City Elks lodge for a Mother's Day champagne brunch.  I think we arrived around 9:30ish and quite a few people had already gathered in the dining room.


You can see we arrived in style.  No, wait, that's not our car, but we do see it driving up and down our mountain road frequently.  Jimmy thinks it would be fine to run around town in it!  Cute, huh?


I was warmly greeted at the door:  "Happy Mother's Day!"  A handmade tote bag was offered - "please pick out the one you like best."  That was tough; they were all very nice.  I like paisley, so I chose the one above.


The brunch was a buffet and we managed to fill our plates.  And then we did pretty well at cleaning 'em!  Not shown is the plate of fruit... which we also dived into.  The food was very good.


If you've visited this blog before, you know where this picture was taken.  After the heat of the day passed, and after we talked to our loved ones, we decided to hit the canal trail.  This was our first time walking in late afternoon.  Personally, I prefer a morning hike; dodging banana slugs "streaking" across the path makes the hike more challenging then, too!  The afternoon was still warm at 4pm when we started our walk.  For the first time in the year we've been in NorCal, we were stalked by blood-thirsty mosquitoes.  If we stopped moving, we got bit.  I didn't realize it till too late, but every time I paused to take a picture, I got nailed.  Anyone who knows me, knows that biting bugs love me.  That feeling is not returned.  I'll have those itchy bites for at least a week. Bleah!


 Thimbleberry (Rubus parviflorus Nutt.) is already in bloom.  The fruit is edible and quite tasty.


I wish I knew what this (large) bush was.  Its needles were sharp, not soft, and flying insects of every kind found the flowers irresistible. 


Scotch broom (Cytisus scoparius) bathes the foothills in bright yellow.
Too bad it's nonnative and invasive.


 We even have this pretty little posy in our yard.
Endemic to California, it's a Pacific Coast Iris (Iris hartwegii).


Is it raining violets?  Nope - Jimmy blew the puffers off a dandelion!


White lilac hanging over the water.
Lucky for me a branch full o' blossoms was close enough to inhale!


We encountered several patches of these cheerful low growers.


Finally, wild roses were beginning to flower.  Wild roses and ferns.  Nice.  Seemed as though the water level was up from last time.  'Course rain fell on the county last week, that may account for it.  We even saw several small trout in the canal.  Well, that makes me think of Livingston, Montana!  In a couple of weeks, we'll be hittin' the road for Livingston and the Yellowstone River... and all the trout we can catch and eat!  Yeehaw!

3 comments:

  1. GREAT picture of the dandylion seeds floating down! Love the flower pictures.... Your "wild" climbing rose is going great guns out by the camper in our yard! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you had banana slugs there in California! I thought they all dried up in the summers. Sounds like it might be getting hot down there, too. Love the white roses and the "sweet little deer lips" comment. Can't wait to see your traveling north and see all your beautiful Montana photos and read about the fishing. And yes, that dandelion photo was a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate thimbleberries when we were in Conn. in 2010 - small but tasty!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you -- please leave us a note! (Comment moderation is turned on, and your comments, including anonymous comments, will be visible after they have been reviewed and published.)