20140409

... exactly one week later! Wednesday, April 9th


Amazing the difference a week can make.


One week ago, this oversized boxwood was laden with snow.  Tumped over laden.  If I could've gotten a chainsaw (if I could lift a chainsaw!) to it then, I would've cut it back to where the snow didn't fall on it. Obviously, this would not have been a good time to go after it.

By Saturday (4/5), however, most of the snow in this area had melted, and I took the new hedge trimmer to the front and top of ye olde boxwood.  (Actually, Jimmy shoveled the last bits of snow out of the way.)  We didn't plant this hedge, and wouldn't plant something that requires constant trimming; it came with the house and hadn't been trimmed in a long time.  Meanwhile, it's taken a couple of valuable feet from our driveway. My plan is to cut it back as much as possible with the hedge trimmer and then Jimmy takes over with the chain saw (I can't lift the dang thing).  Probably it'll be an eyesore for a month or two, but it will grow back... just not as thick as before. We may replace the boxwood, but we'll try a "buzz cut" first.

Oops. Jimmy fixes the extension cord I accidentally "nicked" with the ELECTRIC hedge trimmer and tripped the breaker.  I'll be more careful. 

We filled our yard waste can to overflowing with the trimmings and will have to wait till the can is emptied before we can move along on this project.  The weather prognosticators were correct this time! Snow was predicted for last week.  Sunny, warm days this week.  We have enjoyed being outdoors these past few days! Doesn't matter what we're doing as long as we're outside.  We're even in shorts!!

My veggie garden has been calling my name and I have the sorry-looking fingernails to prove it.  When I went to the nursery to buy a few tiny tomato plants to stick in the keyhole garden, the staff advised me to "wait until Mother's Day" to plant.  I did get one Early Girl and one Big Beef and planted them in gallon cans that can be moved in case of more snow (perish the thought) or a hail storm or severe frost.  On Mother's Day, they'll go into the garden!  Along with a whole bunch more!

  Here you see "Fluffy," the deer, on the other side of our back fence, chewing it's cud while resting in the Periwinkle.  Probably the same deer that cropped the fresh new growth on our Japanese Maple in the unprotected front yard.  Grrrrrrrr....

Nevada City is alive with vibrant spring color.  This is the first Iris that's bloomed in our backyard.  Pretty.

Our native Dogwoods are simply gorgeous, and all in bloom.  Guess the snow didn't hurt them.

Even the giant Purple Trilliums are still blooming.

Our Jonagold Apple tree is fixin' to bloom!  Right now it looks like a five-foot high stick with a couple of green arms (it was planted last fall).  My other flower photos weren't as clear as they should have been.  The settings are messed up somehow, and I can't find the manual.  Yet.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome, Spring! Time to ruin our hands and have fun playing in the dirt.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nickie, have you tried deer spray? I have planted a few deer attractants around our place, things I like so well that I am willing to spray them regularly - an oakleaf hydrangea and a climbing rose. When I REMEMBER to spray, it seems to work. I got an organic spray recommended by the local nursery, which smells just like rosemary - wonderful. Directions say to spray every 30 days, but you also have to spray after a rain and when new blooms are opening or when you have a lot of new growth. It is a little bit of a pain, but seems to be working - my oakleaf hydrangea has big fat buds all over it, so far untouched (while the Lady Banks rose, here for years, which was covered in blooms two days ago is now denuded). I can get your the name if you want it (the spray is in the shed, I am in my pj's). BTW, the deer in our park don't eat Japanese maples (there are MANY beautiful specimens here), and they leave azaleas alone, too.

    Looking at your photos, it is obvious that a difference 1000 ft (or more?) of elevation makes! We are a 1,700 ft and it looks like a totally different season here. But the deer problem is the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Laurie, email the name of the spray you use. As far as I knew, deer DO NOT eat Japanese Maple leaves -- but one of them ate ours! They've also tasted our azalea and camellia buds. Just enough to make you grit your teeth! Our backyard is safe -- that's why we fenced it in. Sorry about your Lady Banks rose. BTW, we're at approx 3150', so you're right about elevation difference.

      Delete

We love hearing from you -- please leave us a note! (Comment moderation is turned on, and your comments, including anonymous comments, will be visible after they have been reviewed and published.)