I sit here this Wednesday morning, still kind of reeling from our recent visitor experience. Of course the windows and doors are closed to keep the blessed air-conditioned coolness inside and the stale, smoky conditions out. There's no wind at the moment, and the sun is up there somewhere above the haze, casting eerie shadows below. This will be another 100° day, one more day to hide indoors, like a blizzard in winter, only opposite. The Jones fire continues to threaten, and we remain vigilant. Our evacuee friend went home yesterday to her house after overnighting at our place, but many remain evacuated. We're safe for now, thank heavens. 2020 has been such an ordeal for everyone in the world, I think, and then there's this:
Last night around 9:30, after watching a movie on TV, Jimmy and I retired to our computers on the dining room table to check on fire news. The dining room is near the garage back door, which had been left open (the big garage door was closed). I heard a loud noise. "Jimmy, there's something in the garage. Please go look." And he did. When he returned, he said (calmly), it was a bear. I laughed. Hahahaaaa. "No, really, what was it?" Really, he said, a bear. WHAT? I got up and turned on the flood lights, and -- sure enough! -- I saw a small/ish black bear running through the yard and over toward the neighbor's fence. Up and over and it was gone. But, in our garage? WHAT?
This morning told the tale of the bear at our place. Of course, it knocked over the bird feeder and bent the pole at its base. I don't know if it'll straighten this time. It left its calling card, thank you very much, before it amscrayed over the fence.
And what was that white thing over by the fence? I retrieved a bag of flour that had been in our garage freezer ... WHAT? The durn thing went in the garage, opened the chest freezer and stole a bag of flour? It knew how to open the freezer? WHAT? Oh my gosh, I'm dumbfounded. Flummoxed. Looks like that garage door will be closed from now on!
It was hard to tell in the dark if the bear was full grown or a juvenile, and we wondered if it had a mama nearby. Unknown. Was it fleeing the fire? Also unknown. Bears are not new in our area, but this brazenness is. Good grief. What next?
😳😳😳😳😳
ReplyDeleteNot a visitor you want to come across in the garage ... or anywhere nearby for that matter.
ReplyDeleteWhew. We just returned from 4 days with no internet and this is the first thing I see?? geez. Glad all is well, and yes, I have known bears to open all sorts of things. They opened the trunk to a car once when I was camping, opened boxes of chocolate pudding and ate every speck. Yes. Garage door CLOSED. bears are not the only thing that wander around in the night. You remember the bear that came to our back yard in Rocky Point? So far no bears here in Grants Pass. Take care and I'll eventually get caught up.
ReplyDelete