20201201

Bye bye, November ... 11/30/20

... see you, in December!  This time of year is traditionally busy -- with planning, cooking, shopping, friends and family.  But this is 2020, the year of nothing and emptiness, of disappointment and pain.  Jimmy and I consider ourselves very fortunate, inasmuch as we're fairly healthy, and we've been able to see our "bubble" friends and our small family, at least till now.  That's about to change.  Nevada County has seen a real surge in COVID cases:  642 cases on 10/30, with a leap to 1,348 on 11/30.  Because of this, our county is now in the "purple tier," the worst one.  No more gatherings, and businesses will be forced to shutter again, which'll result in more closings and so on.  How many months have we endured?  Nine months?  Just when it seems there's no hope, a potential vaccine becomes a ray of sunshine.  Meanwhile, we trudge the path of happy destiny.  As you see below!

I drove to Fair Oaks one day (they all kinda run together, you know?) to play with Evie.  We found fun things to do inside, but she was eager to go outside.  We've had few rain days in November, and this was another sunny day -- but I thought it was cold and wore my down parka.  Not Evie!  This three-and-a-half-year-old girl had me running all over the back yard in a game of "chase."  Run and fall down, run and fall down (for her only).  Her "c'mon Gramma, fall down," fell on deaf ears, pardon the pun.  If I fell down, I'd break a hip, or never get up!  I wore athletic shoes, she wore dance shoes.  She's three.  I'm old.  I've had another birthday to add to my collection of years.




A couple of weeks ago, closer to our birthdays, Jimmy and I were out hiking on our favorite Cascade Canal trail, eyeballing and oohing over divine sights you can only see in autumn.  The foliage -- such colors!  We walked quietly most of the way (six miles), pleased to be Out and About.





This maple in our yard, above, is a showstopper every year!

We both celebrated our birthdays this month (Jimmy turned 76, and he's nine days older'n me).  No party this year like last year's happening!  Instead, our bubble friends, Mary and Terry, came calling with this delicious cake.  The four of us played cards all afternoon -- laughing and having a jolly good time -- we counted this as one stellar day!


Thanksgiving day found us in Fair Oaks for a turkey feast!  



Matt:  The Chef


Eat up!  Tom, Alice (Jen's parents), Jimmy, Jen and Matt.  Evie is to the left out of the picture.  Turkey and all the fixins' with leftovers for tomorrow.  Life is good!  We feel so blessed to have family not too far away.  A truly special time, we know.


Our beautiful hostess and host.  They did a fantastic job.


Two Grammas and one cutie pie!


Mom 'n Matt


Nickie and Jimmy


The little one sits at a little table.  She loves having her two Grammas and two Grandpas, one Mommy and one Daddy in her house.  She enjoyed her turkey, too.  Heck, she enjoyed her entire day!

So, adios to November.  December will take care of itself.  Today (Dec 1st) is called Giving Tuesday.  After the pandemic began, Jimmy and I felt compelled to volunteer at Interfaith Food Ministry in Grass Valley -- we go in every Tuesday, restocking for distribution the next day.  With more people out of work and strapped, IFM needed extra help.  Our contribution is one small part of a whole, but we had the time and being of service to our fellows is what life is about, giving back, something we can do (all of us, I guess), especially now that many are suffering.

December:  Whatever comes our/your way,
I hope Santa won't leave coal in anyone's stocking!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, Thanksgiving feast looks good! Nice to have your family close and part of your bubble. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you to all be together at Thanksgiving! We are looking to volunteer here as well. Evie is such a cutie, thanks for sharing her day with everyone she loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just enjoyed looking at your blog. Fabulous shots. Beautiful family. Little Evie is gorgeous, but of course, so are her parents. Stay healthy. Love, Anne

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments! PLEASE leave us your name, so we don't have to guess! Thanks!