As I sit here this evening listening to gale-force winds howl outside our RV, I feel secure inside and grateful I'm not out there. This is the end of our second full day at Catalina Spa and RV Resort, and we have enjoyed our time in the desert. Today, Tuesday, we caught the tail end of one of California's Atmospheric Rivers, with a smattering of raindrops, nothing to write home about, and then this wind! Weather is following us, though not like we've been hearing about at home in Nevada City or northern California in general, not that bad. The clouds we've seen the past two days have added drama and context to many of our photos.
This White-crowned Sparrow paid us a visit early Monday morning,
singing a melodious tune.
After breakfast Monday morning, we set out on a walk-about, up to the through-road past the homes in the above photo, and then into the desert behind our park. The sky over the mountains was black with clouds, but the sun shone on us as we walked along. We felt so happy to be on our feet, drinking in the fresh air and feeling the Vitamin D heal away the respiratory crud we've been fighting for two weeks.
Jimmy near the entrance to this park.
We can see the mountains from our campsite, but we can't see 10,834' Mt San Jacinto until we're out walking. It's wearing a snow bonnet now, and I'm sure there'll be more to come! Part of the Palm Springs wind farm is seen at right.
I liked this closer view of the palm trees against the hills and dark sky.
Tergel and Smartie fit nicely in this spot, and we're protected from wind and blowing dust by the Oleander bushes. Plus the park's perimeter is lined with tall Tamarisk trees.
Triceratops. Don't worry, it's not going anywhere! We spotted this on our walk, and can't tell you another thing about it. You never know what you're going to see when you're Out and About.
This is where the Kim Nicol Trail begins, a 5.6 mile loop which wanders into yonder hills, not far from our RV park. Since we couldn't find the actual trailhead, we turned back. Maybe another try, a different day.
The trail is part of a larger conservation area in the Coachella Valley which protects plants and animals found no other place on earth. Above is one of the Cholla cactus we saw. Maybe Teddy-bear Cholla (Jumping Cholla) -- you do not want to get near this cactus! Jimmy knows!
We passed by a large fenced property that was semi-shielded from our prying eyes by large bushy trees, which I don't know the name of YET, and it obviously had water because we spied lots of vegetation inside. Seeing white Egrets also confirms that water is present.
A Datura, probably Jimsonweed with potential blooms, near our trail.
Afternoon found us in the 95° natural mineral swimming pool. When I stepped in the water, I just sort of sank into its warmth, let it envelop me, like returning to the womb. Heaven! Jimmy made straight for the "hot tub," which is actually a pool, just smaller than the one I was in. I swam for a half hour, maybe more like paddling, but always moving. It felt wonderful. Then I joined Jimmy in the hot tub. While I was swimming, a voice called out about an old woman in the pool -- uh-huh. I recognized that voice! It was our friend, Sue, with her dog, Mattie. Sue and "Mo" (Sharon) had just arrived for a week at the park, coming from their home in Oregon in all that nasty weather. So nice to see them.
An early dinner and an early bedtime for me and Jimmy. We were tuckered out.
I was a bit late for Tuesday's actual sunrise, but I was out the door at 7 to catch this stellar view. Rain showers are predicted for today. We had no plans. After breakfast, we made the rounds of this park, which has over 400 sites! Very well kept, too. Got in a couple of miles. Our low temps have been 50-52, and it warms during the day to 60 or so. Perfect.
Facing north, look how the clouds are filling in over the hills.
Facing south, as we walked around the park, blue sky prevailed. Can you see the two ducks in the foreground? We found the other swimming pool, too, which is out of sight to the left -- cool that there are two pools to use!
Raindrops began falling around Noon. A decision was made to go to the movies this afternoon with wet weather in the offing. Sue knew of a movie theater in Cathedral City that she and Mo have been to called Mary Pickford is D'Place! Mo didn't want to see Avatar: The Way of Water, so we three betook ourselves to the movies. Sitting in seats akin to Lazy Boy recliners with boxes of popcorn and a huge screen -- that's how we spent our afternoon. It was dark when we left the theater. Back at the RV, the local news reported flooding in the streets, but we encountered no standing water and, in fact, the streets in the RV park were dry. Whew.
That's it for now. As long as we don't blow away in the fierce wind, we'll be ready for a new day tomorrow. New adventures!
Good for you getting some blog posts out. You know me. My best tim writing is early morning and here we are swimming by six. Who knows when I'll get around to writing.
ReplyDeleteFun. I'm happy to get the emails so I can keep up with your adventures.
DeleteSo glad you're out of the "River."
ReplyDeleteLooks quite beautiful! Stay safe, y’all! Love from Nannie
ReplyDeleteThank you again for sharing another wonderful adventure; looking forward to the next episode! Luv, Betty
ReplyDelete