Weather can be like a box of chocolates, too, à la Forest Gump, when you plan a trip in advance -- you never know what you're gonna get. In October, and hoping for the best, my sister, Nannie, and I picked November 21 thru December 5th for her two-week visit. We watched the weather app as the date for her Thursday arrival drew near, and the news wasn't good. Rain began falling on Wednesday, November 20th and it didn't stop till the following Tuesday afternoon! A solid week of gray days and pouring rain! Life can be like that.
Pretty much stuck indoors, we played cards and Scrabble, worked crossword puzzles, watched a few movies, looked at old photos, and just enjoyed each other's company. Finally, we awoke to brilliant sun on Wednesday, the 27th ... and we couldn't wait to get outdoors. Luckily, Nannie's second week with us was filled with sunshine. Life can be good like this, too.
Uh-oh, one of them made it to the grill 😁.
(kidding, this one came from a store)
Down the hill we drove on Thanksgiving morning, me and Jimmy and Nannie, to spend the day with Matt, Jen, Evie, and Jen's parents, Alice and Tom. The day was glorious, sunny and filled with sparkling color. Matt started cooking, while Jimmy kibitzed. Jen wasn't home from work yet, and Alice and Tom would arrive later. We girls went for a walk -- Nannie (with Lucy on a leash), Evie and I, admiring the trees all around us.
Especially this one!
Our Evie
Photo op, back at the ranch ...
As well as a goofy one!
Then we put down our camera and phones and enjoyed being present with our family. Dinner was delicious: Turkey and prime rib, mashed taters with gravy, sweet taters, scalloped taters, cranberry sauce, mac 'n cheese, and Matt's wonderful green bean casserole, every side homemade and, all of it, really good. Plus, Nannie's yummy pecan pie. I forgot to get a food pic, oh well. Managed to gather us together for a family photo before we left to go home. Above: L-R, Alice and Tom, Nannie, Evie, Matt, me and Jimmy, and Jen. Speaking for myself, I had a wonderful time, but I suspect everybody did.
Jimmy drove us home on this clear, star-lit night, while Nannie and I alternately dozed or eyeballed those shining stars, watching Three-in-a-Row come into and out of view. Needless to say, we fell into our beds when we got home, totally tired, but happy and thankful. We are soooo grateful Nannie could be here.
And, we had a plan for the coming weekend. Oh boy!

It sounds wonderful !! Even bad weather can bring peace and calm and time to togetherness. that is the best part of families.
ReplyDeleteJudy
Happy Thankful and To-getherness!!! (what a Word) Sounded like fun. Pat IFM
ReplyDeleteOh what a fun day! Chasing turkeys was definitely a highlight! 🦃🦃
ReplyDeleteI love your statement "we put down our phones" I hope that catches on in more homes, she said getting off her soap box! Evie is growing up so fast, I hope all the rest of the holidays this year are just as heartwarming for you and yours!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Family. Beautiful Gathering. Lots of smiles and love! Everyone looks great!
ReplyDeleteLove, Anne
Love that last photo of the family together. Glad you had yukky weather to snuggle up together and play games, and them of course I loved the gorgous sunshine that showed up for you. It all looks incredibly delightful.
ReplyDelete