Yes, it has been a while since my last post. Christmas and New Years Day are long past, holiday decorations put away, and we're deep into the first month of the year. I can hardly believe we're one quarter into the 21st Century (Time: Whoa, why the hurry? Racing to the finish line? Hold up!) I've taken few photos the past six weeks, busy doing other things maybe.
I can tell you that we've had no snow so far this winter. Nary a flake. Is this unusual? We think so, at least judging from our 12 winters here in NorCal. We've had weeks of rain (yay, rain!) ... wherein you tire of it and wonder if it'll ever quit. But we've gone two weeks now seeing cloudless blue skies, and we could use a good dousing.
Before Christmas we gave away Evie's "little kids" swing set, replacing it with this sturdy wooden set. More usable for her with the monkey bars and trapeze. Merry Christmas!
When the rains come, the 'shrooms will follow. We discovered these gorgeous displays on several of our (sometimes muddy) walks. I wish I knew their names, and if any is edible. They are huge! You can see my foot in the lower right pic.
Some days we'd step out to the canal trail and be encompassed in a fog, or low clouds, soundless and ethereal, and exceptionally peaceful. We feel so grateful to have this wonderful trail nearby.
Back to fungi! The two beauties were in our yard. The big-as-dinner-plates 'shrooms on the right are growing on an old stump amid snippets of still-green yarrow.
This pretty boy (Anna's Hummingbird) perched in a dripping Pacific Dogwood, was just lookin' around. Its feeder is at right, out of the picture. Much to my delight, our hummers stick around thru the winter.
Wow, look at this prize-winner!
On the 9th, Jimmy and I walked a bunch of miles on the Newtown Canal-Deer Creek Tribute Trail in Nevada City, one of those neither too hot nor too cold days. When we descended to the creek, we found the Mother Lode of Ladybugs nearby! Tens of thousands piled up together to a) stay warm to survive winter, and b) to find a sweetheart and mate. You might see some coupling going on above.
I am always thrilled to see this sight! Today is the third or fourth time we've been honored to witness the Ladybug coming-together. This is one area, we saw lots more, left and right. Imagine!
Those pesky water hoses are disconnected and the hose pipes covered in case of a deep freeze, 'cause tomorrow we're driving south, aiming for the odorless mineral hot springs at Catalina Spa and RV Resort in Desert Hot Springs. THE POOLS! (I need a new bathing suit, but the thought of trying them on and standing my aging, white body before a full-length mirror does not sound like fun! Woohoo! 😄 Never mind, I'll model if/when I get one!)
I hope it rains while we're gone or even, uh, a bit of snow? We plan to be camped in the desert for a month. Don't hold me to it, though. Stuff happens.






Cannot wait to see you two this week at Catalina! We will watch for “Smartie”! Find us in #191
ReplyDeleteBetty & Wayne
Oh, goodie, you guys are still there! See you soon!
DeleteBusy busy people! I love the pictures!
ReplyDeleteSheila
Looks like you have started the new year beautifully-still loving nature!
ReplyDeleteMiss you both at IFM!!!! Have a fun trip and keep us posted on what's happening! Love you share your trips.
ReplyDeleteHugs Pat IFM
Picturing you two getting closer to the warmer weather and those wonderful pools. Looking forward to seeing you there. Here is it 24 degrees this morning but sunny and everything is thick with frost. We have had no snow this year either, but have had even more dark cold wet fog than usual for us. Dreaming of the desert and hope the weather for us and you is as wonderful as usual.
ReplyDeleteWe arrived this afternoon. Pool soon. Warm temp, sunny sky, life is good! I'll send you an email later.
Delete