Jimmy and I have swarmed all around Topkapi Palace (see previous posts), as these wondrous sites are all within shouting distance to each other. But, until today we hadn't gone into the palace. Of course, this was one more ancient site our group wanted to see.
Ulaş, in the dark blue shirt, is herding his cats!
Briefing the 12 of us beforehand.
Topkapi Palace is a complex of grand pavilions and courtyards, really stunning to see. I don't remember what the giant building, above, was originally designed for, but for many, many years it was an armory. Now, after interior renovation, it's used as a concert hall, and I can only imagine how much fun it would be to listen to Pavarotti or Lady Gaga here! (Lady Gaga? Why not!)
Follow the leader to enter the second courtyard. (Not our umbrella, not our leader, but we're following the crowd into the entrance.) The crowd wasn't too bad.
The grounds are well taken care of, and really pretty. We spied big ol' Gulls, House Crows, Magpies, and bright green squawking Alexandrine parrots flashing through the trees -- all seem to call these grounds home.
As well as some gorgeous medieval Sycamore trees,
with Jimmy posing at one example.
With friendly kitty cats ready to flop onto their backs so they can be petted.
Changing of the guards (I guess), on the left. One stands on either side of this gate. As you see, they'll let you pose with them. I smiled up at him and said, "dude!," and got just the hint of a smile! Ulaş seems to be checking out the guard's shoes.
There's a stupefying collection of priceless treasures in these exhibits. Jimmy and I only stopped long enough at each window to either gawk or drool and then moved to the next one. I'll show you just a few photos of the many I took. The past couple of days we've seen a staggering amount of wealth displayed, as you can imagine.
We saw the jewel-studded dagger made famous by the movie, "Topkapi." When we go home, we'll see if we can find the movie on Netflix and give it a look.
Our group, in two and threes, wandered through the halls and pavilions. We had a meeting time and place, so we were free to roam as we chose. I was right fond of the good-sized bauble, above
Finally, after leaving the fatih pavillion, library (beautiful inside) and the "kitchen," (indescribable! huge!), we were ready to meet the group and sit down! But only for a minute.
Next we'd stop for lunch, followed by a visit to the famous spice bazaar (Misir Carsisi) one of the largest bazaars in the city where we'd taste teas and Turkish Delight (yum), free to wander and buy if we wanted. Jimmy and I didn't go far before turning around to await the bus.
You know we were excited boarding a boat to set off for an hour-and-a-half cruise along the Bosporus Strait -- the body of water that separates Europe and Asia. And, boy howdy, we were glad we wore our windbreakers as the wind off the water felt chilly! The City of Istanbul, on both sides of the strait, goes on and on and on, unbelievable. How many square miles this city must be? And so beautiful!
Old and New.
Maiden's Tower (lighthouse), at the southern entrance of the Bosporus Strait. Neat story about it, too.
Fun being on the water and we warmed up after we turned about. This city is amazing. When we stepped off the boat, a local fish market was in front of us, with lots of fishies on display.
Our bus returned us to our hotel where we freshened up for dinner. Jimmy and I went up to the rooftop terrace and were seated at a small table overlooking the water. The maître d' wrapped a soft blanket over my shoulders. We had a light and delicious meal surrounded by an ambiance we loved, but seldom have. It was magical. What a full day! But, wait, there's more!




Wait..I thought you were in Cappadocia?
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are amazing! I almost feel like I'm touring with you. Inspiring! Karen
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous city!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun and exciting times you both are having. The City of Istanbul is Beautiful!! Have a wonderful Trip and keep
ReplyDeletesharing your pictures and stories. I really enjoy both. Hugs Pat IFM
I guess I never really k ew how huge Istanbul is. Loved the jewels!! Marion
ReplyDeleteThanks for the lovely tour, Gale
ReplyDeleteThe building that was used as an armory is Hagia Irene (Aya İrini in Turkish). It is said to be the first church built in Byzantine during the Roman Orthodox period.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Good to hear from you! You can imagine all the information being presented to us was overwhelming.
Delete