20251021

Abu Simbel, Thurs, Oct 2nd


After sleeping like contented babies, we were up-n-atem early for our short flight to Aswan. We weren't quite sure about this, because once on the ground an announcement was made that anyone bound for Abu Simbel should remain on board. That was us, most everybody else deplaned. By gum, it wasn't long before we took off again, landing at Abu Simbel at 11am.  We knew we were to view the Great Ramses II temple complex, but we didn't realize just how much we didn't know!

Then our eyes opened wide, taking in all we saw -- carved into the mountains alongside the Nile River, the towering giant statues of Abu Simbel sit like immortal sentinels, gazing out and guarding the secrets of Egypt and the history of its pharaohs for more than 3000 years.


Above: Somewhere along the way I lost my visor cap, I think on one of those airline security checks, and I was blinded by the sun here!  FYI, it was a good long hike from the entrance to Nefertari's temple (above), and the temperature was 100°F -- yeow!  But what a sight!


The Temple of Nefertari was built for Ramses II’s most beloved queen as well as a dedication to the goddess Hathor.  Inside, the hall has six square pillars carved with the goddess Hathor (cow head), with me standing before two of them.  Besides this room, there are other chambers and a sanctuary.


The hieroglyphics carved into the walls were spectacular, and all of it relates to Nefertari and her life and her gods -- I'll post two, above and below.  I wish I could tell you the stories you see in these panels, but I can't.


Her temple is reached first.  Next to it you come upon the four colossal Ramses II sitting statues carved into the side of a mountain, below!


If you can see the people near the temple entrance,
you can judge how huge these statues are. 


This video I took might also give you an idea of how marvelous Abu Simpel is.
(to see larger view, click on YouTube)


Again, these panels represent Ramses II life and rule.  He ruled for approximately 66 years, from 1279–1213 BCE.  I checked different websites to learn more about him and the temple complex and, if you're interested, there's a host of really interesting information out there.  


Haha, sometimes we'd be accosted by a man wearing a traditional "jalabiya" who'd ask for my camera so he could take our picture.  Literally yank it out of my hand.  Okay, take our picture, thank you very much.  Then he'd hold out his hand looking for payment, not every guy, but quite a few.  Ah, well, people have to make a living.  But, look at the fantastic hieroglyphic behind us.  Ramses II royal cartouche was everywhere!


I think this one was about uniting Upper and Lower Egypt,
located near the entrance of the tomb.

You have to wonder why these temples were carved into a mountain.  Ramses II must have been "somewhat" narcissistic (he had many statues of himself built), but in this case Abu Simbel wasn’t just built as a temple to honor him -- it was also an imposing message, warning unwelcome travelers along the Nile that the Pharoah owns everything beyond this point, so be advised!

We finished looking, gaga-eyed, and retired to a bench near Lake Nassar in the shade of an Acacia tree.  Of course, you know about these temples being MOVED, stone by stone, out of the way of encroaching water when the Aswan High Dam was being built.  Worldwide aid came together under the direction of UNESCO to dismantle and relocate Abu Simbel to its current position.  And they covered the whole temple complex with a dome.  Between 1964 and 1968, engineers, historians, archaeologists, and architects all came together, took the temple apart piece by piece and moved it safely to higher ground. 

The making of these temples was the first engineering feat.  Moving them was the second.  Wowzers.


While sitting in the shade, I watched what I believe to be Sociable Weaver birds flit about in the trees.  Check out their nests, and the flower of the Acacia tree.


Boy Howdy, I got tired of the simpering, Chinese girls posing prettily in their floaty dresses and cute umbrellas taking up tons of space in their goal to document, I WAS HERE (never mind about the here, though).  You can see some in the photo of the Ramses II temple if you enlarge the photo.  Jimmy and I decided to pose, too, but Jimmy needs to work on his stance.  How about mine?  At least we were out of the way!  BTW, Jimmy found this hat for me.




The red You Are Here is toward the bottom of the map.  That's Abu Simbel.  Who knew we were roughly 12 miles from the Sudan border?  Well, that was it, what an experience!  The same plane was waiting for us when we returned to the Abu Simbel airport ("welcome back"), and we took off at 2:15 for Aswan.  From Cairo to Aswan to Abu Simbel and back to Aswan.  Lots of flying this day!

5 comments:

  1. Denise3:42 AM

    I love returning to Abu Simbal with you. Egypt was my first adventure and delivered more magic than I imagined possible. Looking forward to your future posts. You capture that magic in words (and pics, of course!) thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:34 AM

    Nickie I love all your posts but these are my favorite. Thank you so much for your wonderful pictures! It's almost like being along with you. Captivating! Can't wait to see you next week and hear more. love Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always enjoy reading about your travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so amazing! you are so fortunate to see these fantastic sights. thanks for sharing with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:30 PM

    What an amazing adventure you both had, thank you for sharing and taking me with you. I enjoyed the trip and loved
    your photo's and posting. Glad you are home safe and sound...Well sound is ???? Ha Ha Hugs Pat IFM see you Tuesday!!!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments! PLEASE leave us your name, so we don't have to guess! Thanks!