It wasn't the most auspicious way to begin an overseas trip. When I tried to check-in on Friday for our early Saturday morning flight (to Portugal via San Francisco and Newark), both computer and phone said "no," that I needed to call United Airlines. So, I spent Friday afternoon -- one hour and 48 minutes, to be exact 😬 -- on the phone with United. They'd canceled our homeward-bound flights and didn't let us know. I had to find all new flights to get home, and, believe me, they aren't what you'd want. Instead of arriving home on a Monday, United added another whole day of travel for us and we won't get home till the next day, Tuesday. Believe me, I was "fit to be tied" while parked on the phone that long, and realizing how cumbersome our homeward travel would be ... but I got over it.
That luggage has been secured and is tagged for Portugal. We watched the sunrise as our small plane lifted off from Sacramento's airport, winging its way to San Francisco. Here we sit in SFO awaiting our flight to Newark. Gonna be a long day -- we arrive in Lisbon Sunday morning! But we've never seen Portugal or Spain or Morocco and we're looking forward to all the sights and sounds this trip will offer.
Of course you got over it!! You're Nickie! We got that call on my cellphone once when we were hurrying through the airport to catch a flight to connect with a Road Scholar trip to Colombia. Luckily for us, the RS trip leader spent their time on behalf of all the group rescheduling our homeward bound flights. Sheesh! Well, I am very excited about your trip. But where are the teleporters when we need them? Forget self driving cars...
ReplyDeleteYou will love both Portugal and Spain - we've done nice trips in both places (one in each) but they are high on our list to go back! Spanish food is fabulous - it gets overshadowed by Italian food but it's terrific. Most "Italian" olive oil comes from Spanish grapes anyway! Be sure to have some of the Iberico ham -- the highest quality, most expensive - generally served with bread and a tomato to smear over the bread. It puts proscuitto to shame! And very little is exported to the U.S. Travel well, as you two always do!!
ReplyDeleteGeez, what a hassle! But the solution was found (tho not ideal) and away you go!!!
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you, the trip sounds exciting. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip! Enjoy! Luv Betty
ReplyDelete