20221016

Phew! OK. Thurs, 10/13/22

 

Continuing from yesterday: We stayed in bed till 7:30/ish.  It was cold – 27° out, 52° in, and that was with the little propane heater on.  We tried the ignition, nada.  We tried the genny, nada.  I found a container of hot chocolate in a cupboard and made us each a cup.  I worried about the fridge/freezer.  About 8:30, Marlin, our fellow camper, drove up in his van.  He was getting ready to leave, but wanted to check on us.  Thank goodness.


Our battery compartment is under the entry steps and the only way to work on them is with the door open!  Cold!  Jimmy and Marlin worked on the batteries, cables, connectors, etc., cleaning everything, and still no juice.  They were both dumbfuzzled.  All of a sudden, Jimmy noticed the little chassis light was off.  He turned it on, and said, “now try it.”  I did and the engine popped to life!  We had lights, we had a working fridge!  When I turned on the genny, it purred.  Hallelujah.  I pulled in the slides and retracted the jacks, so no matter what we could move the rig.


The consensus of opinion was:  plugging in the E-bike battery to the dashboard 12V depleted the the engine battery.  Bad move.  (lesson learned)  I’m not sure why everything shut down last night, but we were up and running this morning by 9:30.  We thanked Marlin, shook his hand, and silently blessed him.  We debated about returning home or continuing on our journey.  Ah well, we decided to drive up to Eagle Lake (short distance) and snag a W/E site, which we did at Merrill C/G.  Let me tell you, angels are everywhere, and they watch over me and Jimmy, for which we are truly grateful.


 


The water is sooo far away, but it used to be right where I was standing to take the picture.  That's how low Eagle Lake is.  All the lakes in the west are hurting for water.






We saw gulls, sanderlings (above), grebes, coots, buffleheads,
and, of course, Canada geese.

Merrill c/g is clean, treed, with spaces far apart, and it was quiet. We charged up phones and my camera battery and anything else that needed charging, like hearing aids (Jimmy). Hot showers were THE BEST. While we were walking toward the beach, we heard Sandhill Cranes and spotted a thread high above our heads. (good omen) Tomorrow we'll bike.

Sorry to keep you hanging, but I had no internet connection after my last post. Know that all's well that ends well.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:10 PM

    Electric issues! No me gusta! Amazing how little water is left. Nannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew!! Glad to hear it. I guess boondocking with no hookups doesn't work well when you are e biking. Glad you are rolling again. On all your wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a plan, but what we did wasn't very smart. Human error. Why are all lessons learned the hard way?

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:25 PM

    I was really waiting to hear what happened. There are angels everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie7:05 PM

    Okay, so what’s “the little chassis light”? Sounds mighty important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an on/off switch near the door (at the floor) that turns on everything in the RV (or off for "storing" the rig). Somehow it clicked off that evening and we didn't know it. Best I can explain it.

      Delete
  5. Ye gods. What a harrowing saga! So glad you’re back in operation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:51 PM

    You are true troopers; I admire your drive to solve all problems! Luv, Betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise6:35 AM

    Angels attract angels. They will have no trouble finding you two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got up and running. A little scary when you're out in the boonies.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments! PLEASE leave us your name, so we don't have to guess! Thanks!