20230917

It's Friday! 9/16/23

 
I thought I knew what I was talking about, but I didn't.  I was sure we were on our way to hike Donner Peak, up in the high country, but we weren't.  By driving up I-80 and exiting at Boreal Ridge Rd, we'd park and hike up to Donner Summit.  Easy-peasy.  Wrong.  When we exited and parked, nothing looked familiar.  I guess I should've looked it up on AllTrails before we left.  Oh well.  We were all ready to go, so off we went, on the PCT, with an unknown destination because we didn't know this trail at all.


Sometimes the destination doesn't matter, as a journey into the Sierra's is always nourishment for the soul.  We were happy to be Out and About on this unknown-to-us, but well-trod trail.


The path itself was kinda sketchy in places, as you see above:  Roots 'n rocks.  Beneath the trees, we appreciated the soft leaf/needle compost underfoot.  We alternated sun with shade, and first we went down-down-down and then up-up-up, and then we repeated the pattern!


Look at this extensive granite "slab" littered with giant boulders!  This was next to the trail, not part of it.  Our elevation here was roughly 7,000'.


We passed several small ponds with clear, tannic water.  One had a large population of Bullhead Catfish, which isn't necessarily good as they can overpopulate and "stunt in ponds."  These guys were still small, maybe three-four inches long, but we saw lots.


Paralleling I-80, not close but within earshot, it became a background "white noise."  Eventually the trail turned south and the sound disappeared.  We saw a couple of day hikers early on and then we were alone.  When we finally gained the first high spot, we were sorta surprised to see Donner Lake, but then we realized where the trail would take us.  


Ain't nature's designs grand?


Not many wildflowers were blooming this late in the year.  I spotted a few Pink Spirea, including the flower with bee, above.  In semi-sunny areas, Indian Paintbrush and Checker Bloom still flowered, and Aster and Goldenrod color foretold autumn's imminence.


By gollies, here we are!  Three-and-a-half miles in and we're up top, overlooking Hwy 40 (old Lincoln Hwy, way down below) and the snow sheds and the China Wall, places we know from past hikes.  We knew how to get down to Hwy 40, but didn't need to.  Instead, this was our turn-around point.


Yup, we parked the day packs, sat on a boulder in the shade and ate our lunch.  Behind Jimmy is George R. Stewart Peak at 7,389'.  If I looked off to my right, I'd see the snow sheds and China Wall.  As we were leaving, a large group of young adults (kids, really!) bounded up the boulders from Hwy 40, nodded to the two old fogeys, and continued their caper up to Stewart Peak.  Just a lark, right?


The afternoon was perfect, warm with a fresh breeze, maybe 75/ish.  On our return, we were aware that all the downhills we had would now be uphills, and our ol' bodies protested, but no matter.  As we made our way, we marveled at the stamina of the PCT thru-hikers.  This is a really tough trail.  Being younger helps, I'm sure.  Meanwhile, we were treated to views (across I-80) of our big buddy from three years ago -- legendary Castle Peak.  Click on the blue link to read about it.


I'd listened to the weatherman the night before and he said "no thunderstorms for the Sierra tomorrow," and I believed him.  When we saw the gray clouds forming, I wasn't worried.  Nope, no thunder, no rain.


We love hiking up here.


Nice balancing act.


Like the brilliant red Snow Plant in spring,
these rosy Pine Drops always catch my attention.


Finally, we came back to the granite slab.  Hi Jimmy!  One nice thing about an out-and-back trail is you see stuff on the return that you missed on the way out.  We were so finished with the switchbacks and uphill/downhill, elevation gain/loss, and we were both tired.  We rated this ourselves as "moderately challenging."  Seven miles and our dogs were barking!  We didn't make it to Donner Summit (oops!), so we'll save that for another time, now that we KNOW how to get there!


I don't know if this map is of any use to you guys, but here 'tis anyway.  The Prius was parked where the blank spot is from everybody's finger pointing to it, and we followed the PCT (red line) down to about Lake Angela.  Our only time to hike exclusively on the PCT.  This entire map area is a great locale to get in some aerobic exercise!  Awful pretty, too.

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:23 AM

    You two are in great shape and put me to shame! Jackie from the RS Amazon Trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:27 AM

    Looks like a lovely hike! Thanks for taking me along (the easy way?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Just gorgeous Nike! Thanks for posting the map! Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place, I love hiking up there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:20 PM

    Great surprise adventure! Do you take bear spray with you? That’s all you’d need, right…running into a bear. I admire all the two of you do together! Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:35 PM

    Always enjoy your blog! I don’t know if I could keep up with you two!
    Enjoy the words and pictures! Catherine NC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nickie I love the PCT. You two are awesome. So glad to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie M from the Amazon adventure5:16 PM

    What a lovely and l o n g hike up and down the slopes. The scenery is so different than we have in the East, and so beautiful. Thanks for your enjoyable blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie M from the Amazon adventure5:20 PM

    What a lovely and adventurous hike. Such beautiful scenery so unlike what’s here in the East. Thanks for the descriptions and amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:40 AM

    What a lovely day and new trail, thanks Nickie and Jimmy! Annika

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:32 PM

    You, guys, just go to show you can't keep a good man or woman down. Glad to see you tackling the trails again. Love, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes. You guys are incredible. Love, N

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty hike. Love the far views that you caught with your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous12:18 PM

    Beautiful scenery!!! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:52 PM

    Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the hike from my computer. Pat IFM

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:56 PM

    You both are so amazing; traveling to unique places. You have the capability to write a series of your many travel adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. well, it was a lovely hike, no matter if it was the "right" one. Reading on the phone isn't very satisfying, so I read again today now that we are back home. I do love doing things on the computer rather than the phone. The Columbia is a Big river. Did you know that when a big ship passes it sucks all the water out like a tidal wave before it comes rushing back in again. We ended up sitting on the muddy bottom before the waves came back at us as one of those big ships passed. Think I will stick to lakes rather than big rivers with ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the Columbia is a BIG river, but I did NOT know that about the ship and tidal wave and sitting on the muddy bottom. Good idea to stick to lakes or smaller (tame) rivers. PS: I don't read on my phone, no fun at all.

      Delete

We appreciate your comments! PLEASE leave us your name, so we don't have to guess! Thanks!