20230929

Maps and more, Sept. 2023


Recently I saw a "hummingbird moth," a White-lined Sphinx, the first one I've ever seen.  Up close! This gorgeous creature is as big as a hummingbird, too, and they seem to love petunias.


And not long ago, I found a two-page map of national parks in a National Geographic magazine.  Looking at the map, I marveled that:  1) America has so many, and 2) Jimmy and I have been to a lot of them!  Out of 61 national parks in the 50 United States proper, we've been to a whopping 41, simply because we love what these natural treasures have to offer.  Lookee here where we've been:

Acadia National Park, Maine
Arches National Park, Utah
Badlands National Park, South Dakota
Big Bend National Park, Texas
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Colorado
Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah
Canyonlands National Park, Utah
Capitol Reef National Park, Utah
Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico
Crater Lake National Park, Oregon
Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio
Death Valley National Park, California and Nevada
Denali National Park, Alaska
Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida
Everglades National Park, Florida
Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska
Glacier National Park, Montana
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
Great Basin National Park, Nevada
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, North Carolina and Tennessee
Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas
Haleakala National Park, Hawaii
Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
Joshua Tree National Park, California
Lassen Volcanic National Park, California
Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky
Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado
Mount Rainier National Park, Washington
*New River Gorge National Park, W Va (visited before it became a national park)
Olympic National Park, Washington
Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona
Pinnacles National Park, California
Redwood National Park, California
Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
Saguaro National Park, Arizona
Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
Yellowstone National Park, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
Yosemite National Park, California
Zion National Park, Utah


We've yet to see the 20 below.

Biscayne National Park, Florida
Channel Islands National Park: California
Congaree National Park, South Carolina
Gates of the Arctic National Park, Alaska
Gateway Arch National Park, Missouri
Grand Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado
Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas
Indiana Dunes National Park, Indiana
Isle Royale National Park, Michigan
Katmai National Park, Alaska
Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska
Kings Canyon National Park, California
Kobuk Valley National Park, Alaska
Lake Clark National Park, Alaska
North Cascades National Park, Washington
Sequoia National Park, California
Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota
White Sands National Park, New Mexico
Wind Cave National Park, South Dakota
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, Alaska

Two more NP's I didn't count, one in the Virgin Islands and one in Samoa.

Twenty-one states have no National Parks:  Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Wisconsin.  Now we all know.


Very cool fungi seen on our Cascade Canal trail walk.

Our Tergel is almost all packed up and ready to go.  On Sunday morning, we'll head off Southeast.  We'll light in Baton Rouge and Mobile for a while.  From Baton Rouge, we'll fly to Belize where we'll connect with Road Scholar's "Hike and Snorkel to Find the Mystery of the Maya in Guatemala and Belize" Program from Oct 16-25, after which we'll return to Baton Rouge, and eventually drive our Tergel home.  Lucky us to visit our sisters in those cities, see friends, and tour a bit of the country, to boot.  Maybe we'll take in a new national park!  We figure a month, or so.  Of course, weather permitting!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:24 PM

    Hi Nikki!

    Diana and I will be motoring around California beginning November 5 in LA through November 16. We plan to be at Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks around 11/9-11/11.
    We were wondering if you’d be around to meet for brunch about that time as you might be on our way to San Jose where we’d like to be by 11/12 (Diana has a close friend there she wants to see), and I want to make that special drive down Big Sur on our way back to LA. My email is Hgever@aol.com; cell 215 858 3619.

    Hal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Looks like a fantastic adventure in Belize and Guatemala. Your updates will be fun to read. I’m thinking of making that trip also.
    Bonnie from the Amazon trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:27 AM

    Happy safe travels! Sounds just marvelous!
    Catherine in NC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:43 AM

    Have a splendid adventure, untouched by sickness or catastrophe. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:03 AM

    Have a great and safe trip. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and comments of your trip. Safe travels.
    Pat IFM will miss you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:02 AM

    Sounds wonderful! Safe travels! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mushroom is Laetiporus sulphureus, common name, chicken of the woods, a very tasty edible, though some allergic reactions have been reported. Try a small taste and wait a day or so to see how you react and just cook the soft outer edge using butter or oil. Fry it until all the water released boils off. Google the name above and check out photos to satisfy yourself of the ID.

    Susan and I are now on a Gate 1 tour of Jordan seeing lots of ancient ruins with a great group of 20 other explorers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. I'm glad for you verified the 'shroom was a chicken-of-the-woods. I always appreciate your comments. Have fun in Jordan!

      Delete
  8. I know you're coming this direction. Looking forward to seeing you. So is Nannie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:03 PM

    I wish you guys a fabulous trip! I hope the weather is kind to you on your trip to Baton Rouge and beyond. I miss you already and look forward to your blogs and your coming home. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, I should have commented last night, now that you are probably already on the road. I will really look forward to reading all about your trip east, your time with family, and your Road Scholar trip. Such fun, and such a great time to get out and about. I loved your list of National Parks and decided to check out our own inventory. I guess we are two ahead of you, since we haven't been to six you mentioned and have been to eight in your list of the ones you haven't visited. We did Channel Islands on a cruise....doest that count We did Gateway Arch, sorta....drove around the park and walked a bit but that was it. Never went up the arch. We spent some time at Hot Springs, lots of time in Kings Canyon and Sequoia, drove through North Cascades but never hiked or camped there, I spent time in White Sands for soil survey, but not with Mo. Does that count? And lastly, we visited Wrangell-Elias on our Alaska road trip. Whew. That was a fun list, Nickie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoped someone would have fun with the national park list. I know I did. Good for you to have visited so many. Road Scholar does a Channel Islands tour, which I think would be fun. So many places, so little time! But, isn't this a grand country?

      Delete
  11. The moth is amazing! I'm going to be checking every bunch of petunias I see from now on. We missed a few of the National Parks on your done list but saw a few on your yet-to-be-visited list so we're about even. :) Looking forward to your trip reports. I always enjoy them. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments! PLEASE leave us your name, so we don't have to guess! Thanks!