20240716

A trip to the Vasamuseet, 7/5/24

 
We knew when we'd decided to extend our trip to include Stockholm that we wanted to see and spend time with Vasa; we were inside for hours. I'll just use the word amazing once, but I could use it and others just like it over and over. The pic below I lifted from the web.


Three things you should know about Vasa before I tell you anything else:  First, its size.  When Jimmy and I walked into the cavernous expanse where she's "parked," our jaws dropped.  Both of us.  We probably said something like, "Holy Catfish, look at the size of this thing!"  Secondly, its ornamentation.  Vasa has 700 wooden sculptures!  Lastly, she was built between 1626 and 1628 (four hundred years ago!), and she sank after sailing roughly 1,400 yds into her maiden voyage!  She didn't go anywhere but down to the bottom of Stockholm harbor.


Hi Jimmy! (at our entrance) This museum was built around the 64-gun warship, which is the only almost-fully-intact 17th-century ship that has ever been salvaged.  The museum's design allows visitors to get close to the ship, including going up next to it and looking into (but not on) its decks. Exhibits provide context about the ship's construction, sinking, and the people who were on it, including their bones!


From the brochure:  The port quarter galleries of the Vasa have over 70 highly ornate wooden sculptures of varying themes and size, all of which were originally painted in bright, vivid colors.


Above and below:  The transom (back) of Vasa.


The entire ornamentation was once painted in vivid colors.




Looking down on the long boat and the bottom of the ship.


There were so many displays to check out.  Above I'm pointing to a fully-outfitted "miniature" Vasa.  The entire museum was not brightly lit, even dark/ish, with bright spotlights showcasing different areas of the ship and exhibits.  Not good for cameras!


Several people who died in the ship's sinking were "brought to life," including:  Adam, Gustav, Johan, etc., each skeletal remains was given an alphabetical name.  Above is Johan.  So much detail!  


Gunports above and below.




I bet the Vasa was a beauty; too bad the design was poor.  I took many photos, but I think you have to see this treasure in person to appreciate, so I'll limit my pics.  Google Vasa if you want to learn more.


Goofing around as usual.


Much has been written about Vasa's salvage. "On Monday, 24 April 1961, thousands of people crowded the shores around Kastellholmsviken, much as they had lined the shore almost 333 years earlier. Radio, television and newspaper reporters filled special media boats at the center of the action, and Swedish Television broadcast live to all of Europe." Vasa rose from the deep.  You can read about it here.  The entire story is fascinating.

* * * * *


Stockholm is really a lovely city.


Uh-huh!  And light jacket temps! 💖


Easy walk to the triumphal arch, above, that leads into the royal palace grounds, and that's where we headed.


The Royal Palace is the official residence of his majesty the king, and the setting for most royal duties.  We didn't go in, but tours were available.


Handsome dude!

We strode all over Old Town, seeing as much of it as our feet would allow, and loved it.  So much to see and do.  The buildings are big, solid, and grand.  Some of Old Town dates from the 13th century, but most buildings are from the 1600s and 1700s. It's a labyrinth of charming cobbled streets, alleyways, faded mustard- and rust-colored townhouses, and meeting squares.


Another unforgettable tower, seemingly always in view.  Called Storkyrkan, it's the Church of Saint Nicholas, oldest church in Stockholm, right in the center of Gamla Stan, and dating from the 13th Century.  


And then we'd hone in on the black tower of Riddarholmen Church, and knew we were close to our shipboard home-for-now, where we could take off our shoes and kick back. 


One of the church's dragons.

What a day!  Over 14,000 steps, which seems to be par for us these days.  We're happy with our Stockholm addition.  We have one more day to play ....

6 comments:

  1. I would bet you loved writing about this thinking about those cool light jacket days. That ship is rather incredible I must say. All that complex ornamentation just to sink to the bottom of the sea so quickly. Nice that it has been salvaged and restored so you can gawk in awe at the amazing and incredible thing that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:40 PM

    Love the dragon! Vasa is STUNNING, and this is the first I learned of it. A treasure to be sure. All you hotos and history are fascinating. Thanks for sharing!! Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:03 PM

    Yes! A remarkable immersive museum. I think I told you how much I enjoyed the Road Scholar trip to the 4 Scandinavian Capitals. It was excellent - and we saw the Vasamuseet and palace and other important sites.
    And I'll say again how much I admire your photos and your writing. I didn't keep any sort of journal of the Nordkapp cruise, but I wish I'd at least jotted some notes each day along the route. Great job.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:37 AM

    You are having sooooooooooooooooooooo much fun, I am grateful that you share. The Vasa is wonderful.
    Thank you Hugs Pat IFM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vasa is amazing! How impressive it must have been before it sunk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:01 PM

    Stockholm reminds me of Copenhagen. They have a viking museum with a very old ship, not as pretty as the one you've seen. Great pics as always. Stay safe and happy.😎💖 Susan

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments! PLEASE leave us your name, so we don't have to guess! Thanks!