20230603

UPDATE: Saturday, 6/3/23

 
I don't have spectacular news; neither do I have bad news.  Jimmy is still hospitalized in the Hospital Particular da Madeira following his emergency surgery Wednesday evening.  He's been in distress, of course, not just from surgical pain, but our bodies don't work as efficiently at 78 years as they do at, say, 28 or even 58.  Don't say, "duh!"  But it's true.  Healing takes longer.  Pain lingers.

Every day I'd go to the hospital thinking to take him "home" to the hotel, and every day I'd go in and find him tethered to an IV machine, a catheter, heart monitor and -- who knows what else.  The hospital staff speak English (almost everyone), but there's still a language-cultural barrier.  The one parameter for being released was to be able to urinate on his own.  Well, he couldn't produce on his own fast enough to suit the nurses, so he'd be catheterized again, and the cycle would restart.  Laying up in the bed produces its own consequences, too, as everyone knows.

He had another torso/abdominal scan today, showing nothing remarkable (hooray).  My take on it, and you know my medical credentials, haha, is to get up and get moving.  That's what he's used to.  I told the doctor that just an hour ago.  But, he's shackled to machines, so the doc said the nurse will walk him.  Guess what?  It's Saturday, hardly anybody around.  


In case you're not sure where we are, here's a map showing Madeira off the coast of Morocco.  Far from the US West Coast!

We were supposed to continue on to the Azores after touring Madeira, but we've canceled that.  We want to go home.  Jimmy needs to heal, and will heal faster, at home.  This episode has taken us aback.  Maybe it would anybody.

I feel encouraged tonight.  I even left the hospital early enough to have dinner with some of our Road Scholar friends.  We don't want two sickly people in the family!  I'll add the next post when Jimmy is released and we're ready to "California, Here I Come!"

16 comments:

  1. Laurie B10:47 AM

    Oh gosh, yes, anyone would be taken aback (at the least) in the situation where you find yourself. Your blog post is so full of information and so clearly presented. I feel like we understand how things are going for the two of you. I can’t imagine Jimmy having to be in bed hooked up to all the monitors for so long. I certainly CAN imagine the longing you feel to be back in your own home. It will come – but that certainly won’t feel fast enough. Thanks so much for sharing all of this with us. We think of you all the time and wonder how things are going. I’m so glad to read that you are hooked up with Road scholar, I wasn’t sure that had happened before this fell apart. Big hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Oh Nickie! I know you are holding up, because I know that is what you do.That's a tough medical issue, and thank goodness he is in Europe rather than in the middle of exploring icebergs or something - they have a fantastic medical system there. Sending prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucinda12:30 PM

    Oops - forgot to sign in - Lucinda here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two friends now that have had to deal with medical issues across the pond. Remember when Maryruth fell and broke her back on the first day of their Rhine Viking Cruise? Her experience was similar, with excellent care, but a difficult language barrier. I hope you had some trip insurance to help with this and that once you are home everything settles in for Jimmy and that he heals quickly. I agree with Lucinda, if Portugal is anything like Germany, the medical care is much more efficient and better than what we seem to have here. I, with all your other friends, will definitely be thrilled to get that next post from California~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Nickie, I'm hoping you and Jimmy can make it home by sometime next week. I'll be happy to wait on you hand and foot when you get home. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:33 PM

    My PRAYER'S are for both of you and a speed and safe trip home USA>>>> Pat (IFM)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for Jimmy and for you, dear Nickie. I look forward to you being HOME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:59 AM

    My attempts at posts keep failing, as I hit a wrong button somewhere. Just know I am grateful you two are OK, and praying for safe return soon. Also can help when you get back, if needed! love, Marion

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just checked your blog so I'm behind again. So glad the operation went well but I think you're right - Jimmy needs to be moving. Hope he's able to be up and about soon and you guys can get home so he can continue healing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:22 AM

    Hoping he is up and about real soon and you can head home!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:51 PM

    You just tell Jimmy we want him home safe and sound. This must be very difficult and discouraging for both of you. You continue to be in our IFM hearts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:53 AM

    Thanks for the news. I’m still praying for healing to continue enough to allow you both to go home. Please take care of yourself Nickie. Be well! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:53 PM

    Prayers continue for Jimmy’s complete healing along with peace, strength and patience for you both on the journey home.
    Love, Gale

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:35 PM

    I am sending prayers for a healthy recovery; and for Nickie prayers to keep you strong during this difficult time.
    Luv, Betty Adams

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nickie and Jimmy3:37 AM

    Thank you, all. With love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nickie I’m so sorry about Jimmy. Let us know if there’s anything we can do. I am guessing he is not recovering so great and that’s why you’re going to cut your trip short. Sending you love and hugs. Wish you guys weren’t so far away.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments! PLEASE leave us your name, so we don't have to guess! Thanks!