20141024

Josie and the Box Cabin, more Tuesday, 10/2114


Josephine Bassett Morris was a local legend, independent in both action and thought, she lived life on her own terms.  In 1914, Josie chose to settle in one of the prettiest canyons we've ever seen, built several cabins on her homestead, the last one pictured below.  She lived a 19th century lifestyle well into the 20th century -- she raised and butchered cattle, pigs, chickens, and geese, canned the harvest from her large veggie garden, chopped her own wood, and so on and so on.  Quite a gal.  Google her if you get a chance -- there's lots more:  married five times, accused of cattle rustling twice, and "an alleged associate" of outlaw Butch Cassidy!  Read all about it!

Enlarge this for easier reading.






 Save the Monarch's!  Spread the Milkweed seeds!

 Into the box canyon.


 We were able to get all the way to the end.  A strong smell of cat urine hit our noses several times.  Um, not talking about a cute li'l house cat, either.

HELLO-Hello-hello!  Next I tried calling, "Meow," and, by gum, my meow came back.  Nice echo!

 
We neglected to take lunch with us and were hungry, it being close to 3pm!  So we bypassed the Hog Canyon hike and made straight for Tergel to eat a quick PB&J sandwich and apples.  I took this picture on our way home. When I saw the sky ahead, I remembered the forecast for afternoon thunderstorms.

Another pic from Smartie as we drove back to Tergel.  These hills banded with distinctively colorful shades of gray, red, purple, and brown identify the rock layers of the Morrison Formation that occurs throughout this region.  Jimmy and I have seen a lot of this rock in other areas of the west.  Easy to remember!

* * * * *

After eating lunch, I left on foot for a further explore near our campground, while Jimmy rested.  By the time I returned to our rig, storm clouds to the NW were rapidly building.  Ohh, we were happy we forgot to take lunch, otherwise, we might have been caught (out hiking!) in the storm.  Everything happens for a reason!



Blown leaves litter the area, as the sun gleams golden thru the clouds.  The next wave approaches.

The first wave drenched everything, except me and Jimmy, watching the rain, comfortably inside our home-on-wheels.  At dinnertime, black clouds again darkened the sky, a furious wind blew cottonwood leaves off the trees sideways, bombarding Tergel with a pellet-like sound, and then all hell broke loose.  I wish I could've captured an image of the intense forked lightning strikes as they stabbed into the ground, but we could barely see out of our windows.  Small hail peppered the ground.  Thunder roared overhead from the mother of all thunderstorms. Hoy! Very exciting weather!

6 comments:

  1. That Josie was quite a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting storms out there in the wide open spaces.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating info and beautiful photos! Smart to use the box canyon to pen up her animals. Quite a homestead, and makes me totally appreciate farmers markets and Raley's! BTW, it is RAINING here today, and I imagine at your place, too. Very welcome. We've been having GREAT fall weather and leaf color for the past many days. I mulched my vegie beds (lots of greens and carrots) yesterday and scattered California poppy seeds on a dry slope where I managed to grow poppies amongst the weeds last spring - I'm counting on the rain to get 'em going while I have the weed off the slope. Envious of your travels, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! That last photograph is stupendous! I love crazy weather, as long as I remain alive at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what Sue said. On paper living in a cabin in the middle of nowhere sounds very attractive to me; not sure I could do it in real life though.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you -- please leave us a note! (Comment moderation is turned on, and your comments, including anonymous comments, will be visible after they have been reviewed and published.)